Out of stock
This 6-hour class takes place in the high plains about an hour east of Colorado Springs. We will learn edible spring plants in the prairie, both native and non-native, and hunt wild asparagus together. This is a very special place where a friend of mine has been working to protect prairie properties, so we look forward to sharing her vision with you. And, as it turns out, there’s a good amount of asparagus!
- DATE: Saturday, May 20, 2023
- TIME: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- LOCATION: Ramah, CO (I will email the address to registrants).
- BRING: A lunch, several bottles of water, camera/notepad, foraging bags (plastic or otherwise), warm & cool layers, rain/coat, toilet tissue/trowel/sealable bags to “pack it out” if needed. (I will also have a trowel you can use.)
- WEAR: Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses, hiking boots, boot gaiters if you have them.
- We will be walking up to 2 miles on uneven ground. Please only register if you can do that.
- There is no bathroom, so please be prepared to use the “outdoor facilities.” We will review how to dig a cat hole. Any toilet tissue etc. must be packed out of the field.
- The grasslands like to insert pointy awns into your socks, so boot gaiters are nice if you have them.
- Be prepared to drive on dirt roads. They are quite slippery when wet.
- The parking is off the road, down the embankment, through a fence, in a field. High clearance is great for this. Still, I can manage it in my low car.
- We will likely cook some wild plants for a taste test, but please bring your lunch.
- Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on for lunch. We may or may not have a shady spot, so perhaps even consider a beach umbrella.
- This is a remote location. Please plan ahead to arrive on time, as we will be heading off into the field right away.
- CAVEAT: Finding fresh asparagus spears depends on growing conditions cooperating. The class will happen asparagus or no asparagus. Either way, we will learn how to find it by picking out last year’s dried plants–a skill that will serve you well into the future.